Monday, June 15, 2009

A library...

Some day, I want a library. With built-in shelving, a fire place (is this asking for trouble, by the way?), cushy chairs/couch(es), and a desk or table for people to do stuff (homework, projects, play games) on. And at least one or two big windows. Sort of like the library in Beauty and the Beast, but on a smaller scale.
First, however, I need more books. Not right now, though. Not enough big bookshelves. And I need to broaden my tastes... You'll see what I mean. Here is a mostly complete list of the books I've read so far this year... that I can remember, anyway.

1. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
2. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
3. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
4. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
5. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
6. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
7. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Are you sensing a pattern here?
8. The Tales of Beedle the Bard
9. The Work and the Glory: A Season of Joy
10. The Work and the Glory: Praise to the Man
11. The Work and the Glory: No Unhallowed Hand
12. The Work and the Glory: So Great a Cause
13. The Work and the Glory: All is Well
14. Twisted Tales from Shakespeare
15. Wildfire at Midnight
16. The Runelords
17. Mistborn
18. France, A Love Story
19. The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam
20. Songs of Innocence
21. A Year in the World
22. Lost in Austen
23. Persuasion
24. Emma
25. The first 3 books from the House of Night series... I'd forgotten because I read them online. They were sort of lame... but I was sad that there weren't any more Twilight books, so... I excuse myself.

I know I've read more... I know it... I just can't remember the rest right now. Plus the dozens of kids' books I've read dozens of times.

(image via the white house daylesford)

2 comments:

LP said...

I always wanted a library like that. Maybe someday... The thing that drives me crazy is how do organize it. Alphabetical by author's last name? By subject? By geopolitical area? By which are my favorites?

btw, didn't you read some Dorothy Sayers? Or was that last year?

Jared and Megan said...

I know... I try to do mine by subject and then author... but then even that can be kinda confusing, cause I don't have enough books for a particular subject sometimes, and then other times, I have books that could go in more than one subject, so I have to decide which one is best. Like should I put my Native American Anthology in the same section as Sources of Chinese Tradition and my Greek Myths? Or should all of them be in separate sections? I'm so confused! I can't decide if I want a cultures section, or if I should keep them all in the myths/literature section... cause neither one is really best. It would probably help if I had more than one book for each particular subject, but I don't, because I haven't even finished reading all of these, so I don't know if I want to further my studies in each of those particular subjects. Am I reading too much into this? Probably.

Also, I thought of Dorothy Sayers and Connie Willis, actually, but I don't remember if that was last year or this year. Oh well. At least I've read them.