Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The future

Here's a conversation I had with Nathan this morning after I explained why the neighborhood kids shrieked every time they thought their bus was coming to pick them up for school. I also told him where the elementary school was and that we'd go visit it next summer before he started kindergarten so that he'd be familiar with it and know where to go and everything when the time came (hopefully).

Nathan: What will I do when I'm 6?

Me: You'll go to first grade.

N: 7?

Me: Second grade.

N: 8?

Me: Third grade.

(I won't sport with your intelligence by typing out the rest of the ages and grades, but that's what we did)

N: 18?

Me: When you're 18 you'll hopefully go to college.

N: What's college?

Me: It's still school, but there are colleges and universities all over the country and all over the world. That's what Adrien and Shannon are doing right now. They go to school in Provo.

N: Oh. And then what number comes next?

Me: 19.

N: Okay, what happens when you're 19?

Me: Well I hope you'll go on a mission like Ian. That's what Ian did, he went to college for a year and now he's on a mission.

N: (excited laughing) Oh!

(we went on to talk about the following ages and that he'd possibly finish college at age 24 if he only did 4 years, then I told him the year after that was 25 and that's how old I was and he laughed like he didn't believe me.)

N: I think I want to go to a cheese college.

Me: What??

N: They make cheese there.

Me: I see.

N: Like... macaroni and cheese. (dissolves into laughter)

4 comments:

Adrien said...

hahaha...well who knows? maybe by the times he's 18 there will be a cheese college somewhere...

LP said...

I dissolved into laughter, too.

Shannon said...

I just dissolved.

Kidding. I think there is a cheese college already, I'm sure of it. Or he can just go to culinary school...

Kristin said...

My brother inlaw's family owns a dairy farm. . .and all their milke goes to making cheese. Just thought I'd add another option. I'm sure his options are endless in the cheese category!