Wednesday, February 29, 2012

#10: Self Portrait(s) and explanations

Since the last entry could technically also count for a current self-portrait, I thought I'd dig out some of my old art for kicks. I'm counting all of these as self-portraits, even though one of them is a horse. From left, clockwise: A piece from my concentration, junior year. My legs, shoes, etc. The words I wrote in that circle are kind of hilarious because of my pathetic attempt at depth and meaning. Next we have a picture of my horse of choice for whenever we played wild mustangs. Black horse, blue eyes, white blaze. Every time. I don't remember when I drew it... or if I'm even the one that drew it, to be honest. Next is just a self-portrait. I'm not sure if it's supposed to mean anything. It's kind of indicative, though, I suppose. I got a 9/10, if you're curious. I probably got a point taken off for having too much white space. Next is a self-portrait I did quickly on a piece of leftover paper from a screen printing assignment. The last one is a self-portrait I did... I'm not sure if it was for class or not. But anyway, it's probably the most accurate, minus the blue skin and hair. I often wore my hair up, and it has my birth mark (Granted, this is me looking in a mirror so it's on the wrong side) and the jacket I often wore. I think that might even be a stain on my shirt... but I could be wrong. Evidence of my clumsiness, if it's a stain. Ta-da! My hair is fountain. This one also has hidden meanings!! Firstly, it's idealized because I really, really wanted blue hair back then and I also loved anime, and secondly it's not finished, and that's funny cause I rarely finish things. Anyway, I'm sure this killed my teacher because he hated all things anime and manga related (he thought it was a lazy way of drawing, I believe) and because he obviously wanted things finished. He liked the entire paper to be used. At least I meant to finish the entire piece, even if I didn't. There were others where I just enjoyed having a big blank space but he didn't agree with me.

3 comments:

Shannon said...

I think it being unfinished is part of the self portrait! Since you don't finish things, it's demonstrative of you! Haha :)

LP said...

Interesante! haha animé eyes! I'm pretty sure it was you who drew the horse. I believe I saw it when it was finished. If I give you a leftover paper from a different screen printing assignment, will you do another self-portrait?

Jared and Megan said...

Shannon - exactly what I was trying to say!

Mom - lol sure